Silver Bells, Cockle Shells, they’re all just fine without me

Jul 1st, 2011

While I’ve been busy with a bunch of this

and a whole lot of that

I haven’t had much time to pay attention to what’s going on in my own backyard.  Yes, you’re seeing right.  It’s time for the Aerial Squirrel Olympics.

And the garden, while not defying gravity, is worthy of some medals of its own.  Fat snap peas hang from stalks that sail skyward

We’ve had fresh salad every night

The strawberries are ruby red gems of tasty goodness

Even those I have neglected are putting out.  Ignore an onion long enough and she’ll do something to attract your attention –

Likewise the weeds.  I knew it would pay off to put off pulling this guy.

And just like that the summer is sailing past, and it is time to hang up the jump ropes and the swim goggles, wish the veggies good luck with their battle against the weeds, and load up the car for the jumbo July road trip.

We’ll catch you from the road.  ‘Til then…Wagons East!

6 Comments on “Silver Bells, Cockle Shells, they’re all just fine without me”

1. Cookie said:

As we eagerly anticipate their arrival…here there are weeds to pull, eggs to get from our own chicks, garlic to be braided, boats to be launched and untold adventures…we can hardly wait

2. Meredith said:

Hopefully you’ll encounter some lovely sights (and tastes) along the way. And discover that although they may not need you so much for the survival stuff, they may start to like just having you around!

3. Peggy said:

I’m envious of your strawberries! The neighborhood raccoons and skunk have had a feast in out yard. Yes, last Thursday 3am awoken by the clanking of the hammock chain as 3 raccoons finished their feast and played the morning away, as well as, 5:30 am this morning by Mr or Mrs skunk digging and shuffling along. Welcome to the Morgan smorgasbord wild animals one and all! Happy travels!

4. amourningmom said:

How were Nationals? Those strawberries are so impressive. Maybe you could have a chat with our straberries. Have a great trip!! xoxo

5. the mama bird diaries said:

One of these days, you’ll have to tell me how to start a garden in my yard. That fresh produce looks amazing!!

6. Leslie said:

Happy travels! Maybe we’ll pull a few weeds in return for raiding your raspberry patch!