(This recipe works with a 4 quart ice cream machine)
(8 cups total are needed of milk and/or cream. Use more cream if you want it richer or if you have scrawny kids you need to bulk up.)
- 3 cups regular milk (I use 2 %)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cups half and half
- 1 ¾ cups sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbls vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberry puree (+sliced berries if you want, I put in about 1 cup)
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I chop them up into fine pieces)
- Scald milk until bubbles form around the edges. Remove from heat.
- Add sugar and salt and stir until dissolved.
- Stir in half and half, vanilla, and heavy cream.
- Cover and refrigerate in pot for ½ hour (or longer)
- Add puree, berries, and chips to mixture.
- Spoon into ice cream maker and follow directions (we mixed for about 1/2 hour)
- Spoon into containers for freezing. Leave an inch or so at the top for expansion.