- Flour, wheat or white
- One beaten egg, or milk
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella–fresh is best
If you use a fresh eggplant (picked within 5 or so days) there is no need to “sweat” it. If it’s been around a little longer, salt the slices to draw out the bitter liquid.
- Peel the eggplant.
- Slice the eggplant into thin circles—I try for about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dredge the slices in flour to coat both sides.
- Dip the floured pieces in beaten egg or milk.
- Coat in breadcrumbs and fry in mild oil (I use canola) over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Flip and fry for a couple more minutes, then transfer to a cooking sheet.
- Top each piece with marinara sauce and fresh mozzarella.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and eggplant can be very easily cut.