I am a new lover of eggplant. I never could stand the stuff growing up, but I tried this yummy appetizer at Grandma’s house and came home determined to replicate it. I think I came pretty close. It would work sliced small as an appetizer, but I served it in big pieces for dinner.
- Eggplant, peeled and sliced thin
- Summer squash, sliced thin (optional)
- Fresh Mozzarella
- Sage leaves
- Roasted red peppers
- balsamic vinegar
- small bowl each of milk, flour, and breadcrumbs
- Dredge the eggplant and squash slices in flour, then milk, then breadcrumbs. Fry briefly on each side and set aside on towel to dry.
- Place eggplant and squash in a casserole dish. Layer alternatively with cheese, sage leaves, tomatoes and red peppers.
- I drizzle the balsamic on top of the cheese, or on top of the eggplant. Just a splash to kick up the flavor a notch or two, you know, like Emeril would do.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.